I took a big step this weekend and began documenting my mixed media processes. I have been so nervous about getting my YouTube channel up for various reasons; will I make quality videos that are informative and entertaining? Will I even know how to edit the videos and upload them? The only way I have found to achieve my goals is to just do it. So I began the filming of a project and starting to learn things right off the bat.
I know that the tutorials that I adore are ones that are not only excellent quality but also have a personal touch to them. As if I am right in the studio with the artist. I wanted to create that same environment. I haven't grasped how to do that quite yet but I am certain that I will. As I produce, I will learn something new each time.
Due to my inexperience and impatience, I screwed a very vital part of any tutorial...the start! I don't even know what happened! I use iMovie to edit my clips and it is a wonderful and easy to use app, but something just went wrong. Due to this unfortunate setback, my first "tutorial" will not show the beginning stages of my process. I will make it up to you by providing my best step by step process here.
I primed my mask with a mixture of Liquitex Heavy gesso with the standard (thinner) gesso so that it's coverage more opaque. Once dried, I sprayed FolkArt Milk paint along the frame on the mask on the right side (facing) and down around the bridge of the nose. I had never really worked with Milk Paint before...is it just the one bottle that I have or does that stuff STINK???? OMG like rotten eggs! Did I get a bad bottle or is that normal?
I still have plenty of gears and cogs left so I got them out and played around with the layout that I wanted. I wanted to follow the milk paint and add a little contour to the shape of the mask.
Once I found the perfect locations for each gear, I glued down a couple layers of cheesecloth for texture. and adhered the gears and clocks on top of that. I am a nervous wreck about the glues I use...will this glue out-hold this one? I have found that E6000 works the best.
Because I knew that I would be applying sprays and high flow acrylics to the embellishments, I smothered it all in a layer of gesso and let dry. If you see the two bottles of re-ink in the background of the previous picture, then it explains the somewhat off-colored appeal to the gesso'd mask. I dropped a couple droplets of Pumice Stone and Walnut Stain in the deeper parts of the gears and sprayed with water to allow the ink to freely flow to deeper parts of the embellishments. This created depth and contrast. I love it. I will do more with other colors as the project progresses.
This is where the video picks up.
There is A LOT that I will be improving upon with my future videos, but please provided feedback on what you would like to see improve. Also, if there are any questions about this particular video, don't hesitate to ask!
Thank you so very much!
Below is a list of supplies that I used. I purchase 90% of my materials from amazon so I know
exactly where to send fellow artists to get theirs!
Post a Comment